Signers can connect with one of our notaries from their smartphones using the iOS or Android app. This is a good option for retail transactions that are not initiated by a business. Transactions initiated by a business are best completed using the Proof platform via a web browser on a Desktop computer, laptop, or mobile device. Read the Mobile Web.
1. Download the app
Once the transaction is sent, your client receives an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. The email includes a link to their documents within our app. When signers access the link using their smartphone, they are presented with two options:
- Continue in app: If the Notarize app is not downloaded to their phone already, signers are directed to the App Store to download our app. (Proceed to Step 2)
- Continue in the browser (Review Mobile Web)
2. Create a password
When the Notarize app opens, signers are prompted to provide their email address and create a password.
3. Review requirements to get started
After creating a password, signers see Welcome to Notarize with a list of requirements. When signers are ready with the required items, they click Requirements include:
- Photo ID
- Last 4 digits of their U.S. social security number (SSN)
- Credit Card
- Strong Network Connection
4. Provide personal details
The signer provides their personal details:
- Date of birth
- Address: Signers must provide an address in the United States or these 3 Territories:
- Puerto Rico
- American Samoa
- US Virgin Islands
5. Review and prepare documents
Signers review and prepare their documents. If there are text fields that the signer needs to fill in, they may do so by tapping directly on the document and adding annotations.
Note: Signers must hold off on placing their signature; the notary must witness their signature.
When they are finished reviewing, they click .
6. Knowledge Based Authentication (KBA)
Next, the signer verifies their identity via Knowledge-based Authentication (KBA):
- Signers are prompted to provide the last 4 digits of their US SSN.
- Based on the personal details provided earlier, combined with their SSN, the system generates a set of multiple-choice security questions that only the signer should be able to answer.
For more information, review Knowledge-based Authentication (KBA).
7. Credential Analysis
The second step in verifying the signer's identity is to capture an image of their photo ID. The ID must be a valid, unexpired, government-issued photo ID.
For more information, review Credential Analysis.
8. Connect with a notary
Note: If your signers pay for notarization, they are prompted for payment information. If your company is covering the cost of notarization, your signers do not see messaging about payment.
9. Allow permissions for camera and microphone
The signer must allow permission for our app to access their camera and microphone so that the notary can see and hear them during the signing. Once enabled, our system tests the connection to ensure it's strong enough for the audio-video recording.
Review Accessibility of the Proof Platform for additional accessibility information, including options for hearing-impaired signers.
10. Answer questions and sign
If you're using the Notarize Network, the notary asks the signer a set of questions to ensure they understand the contents of the document and that they are signing of their own free will. The notary directs the signer to sign in the spaces provided. The signer can use their finger on-screen to draw their signature.
11. Download completed documents
After completing the notarization, the notary ends the call. Your signer sees a confirmation screen confirming their complete documents and the option to download or share their completed document.
What to expect on your end following the transaction
The transaction creator is notified by email that the transaction is complete. The email includes a link to the completed documents.
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat or email us at email@example.com!
© 2022-2023 Notarize, Inc. All Rights Reserved. (dba Proof.com)