This article covers how to prepare and send documents that require multiple signers. There are a few options for completing a notarization when documents need to be signed by multiple parties:
Co-located: Signers are in the same room and join the same notary meeting together on one device (computer or mobile). A maximum of two signers can participate in a co-located meeting for a retail transaction.
Concurrent Signing: Signers are in different locations and simultaneously join the same notary meeting from separate devices. A total of ten (10) signers can join a meeting. If you need witnesses, up to eight (8) signers and two (2) witnesses can join the meeting:
- If the signer starts a Concurrent Signing and chooses to move forward instead of waiting in the Waiting Room, the meeting becomes a Split Signing.
- Sign Ahead cannot be used with Concurrent Signing. All notations/annotations must be made during the meeting.
- If co-signers cannot meet simultaneously, or you want to use the Sign Ahead feature, opt for a Split Signing.
- Split Signing: Signers are in different locations and are either unable or unwilling to join the same online notary meeting. Separate notary meetings take place, and fees are paid for each meeting. A total of ten (10) signers can join a meeting. If you need witnesses, up to eight (8) signers and two (2) witnesses can join the meeting. Split Signings are either:
🎯Primary Audience: Proof for Business
Send Your Transaction
- Log in to your Proof account.
- Click Send & manage from the navigation panel on the left:
- If you don't see the panel, click the caret to expand it.
- Click Select Notarization Request.
Provide Transaction Details
- Transaction Name: Name the transaction.
- Signer Details: Type the first name, last name, and email address of your first signer.
- Select Yes under the question Does this document require an additional signer?
- Type the first name, last name, and email address of the additional signer.
- Select + Add Additional Signer for each additional signer. You may add up to 10 signers.
Each signer must have a unique email address to do a Split Signing or to use the Concurrent Signing feature. (If the signers are co-located, you can use one email address.)
Read Business Transactions with Multiple Signers for more information.
- Select Yes or No to indicate whether or not two forms of identification are required from the signers.
- Under the Document Upload section, drag and drop your document into the box or select Upload a Document to open the document selector.
- Select your document > select Add Document to Transaction (lower right):
- To upload additional documents, click the blue Add Documents button on the upper left of your document list and repeat the process.
- Once the documents are uploaded, toggle the icons to the right to turn the requirements on or off for your document. Hover over the icons to see a description of what each icon represents.
- Select Fill Out Document in the upper left and prepare your document for the signers.
- Once the flags are added, select Save & Close.
- Scroll down to the Custom Email section and type a message to your signers, if desired.
- Select Send Transaction.
Expectations for Your Signers
- Each signer will receive an email notifying them of the document.
- When the signers select the link in the email to begin the process, they can indicate which signers they are with (co-located), if any, by checking the box next to each person's name:
- If none, they can click Start Signing.
- Each signer is prompted to verify their identity using personal details (first name, last name, last four (4) digits of U.S. social security number, and most recent U.S. address of residence)
- Each signer will be prompted to capture their Photo ID using their device's camera.
- The signer sees this message: Click to join a live video session with a notary to complete your document package!
Feel free to reach out to our Support team if you need help!
Chat: Click the icon in the corner of your screen:
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 10 pm ET
- Saturday – Sunday: 8 am – 7 pm ET
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: Available depending on your subscription
Notaries are available 24/7/365!
© 2023-2024 Notarize, Inc. (dba Proof.com) All Rights Reserved.