This guide mirrors the Notary Profile Onboarding Wizard and can be used to learn what to expect while setting up a notary profile within Notarize with Proof.
Need to Know
Before using Notarize with Proof for meetings, you must be authorized to perform Remote Online Notarization (RON). You must upload the documents listed below to complete your notary profile.
The Notary Onboarding Team will review these documents:
- A copy of their paper commission
- A copy of their E&O policy:
- Must be insured for at least $25,000 to use the Notarize with Proof platform
- See Errors & Omissions Insurance (E&O)
- A digital certificate from DigiCert:
- Learn how to obtain and download your digital certificate
Why do we ask notaries to maintain a profile?
- Onboarding: The Notary Onboarding Team reviews your credentials to ensure you are legally authorized to complete notarizations on the Notarize with Proof platform.
- Complete notarizations: The commission-related information you enter into your profile is used to generate your notarial seal and fill out notarized documents.
- Reminders: You will receive reminders from Notarize with Proof when expiration dates are approaching.
Provide the information requested on the Personal Information tab > Click Next
The following fields are required:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- Address: The address you provided to the Secretary of State
- Time Zone: Your time zone
- Whether or not you are an attorney
Optional: Years of RON experience, Areas of Specialty, Additional languages you speak fluently.
Common Error: The name entered for your notary profile does not match the name on the commission exactly.
Provide the information requested on the Commission Details tab and click Next.
- Enter your Commission Number.
- Enter the date your commission expires.
- Upload a copy of your paper commission.
- Uploading anything other than the traditional commission certificate.
- Not signing and/or notarizing the traditional commission when required.
- Entering the incorrect commission expiration date.
Provide the details of your Errors & Omissions insurance policy information > Click Next:
- E&O Insurance Provider
- Insurance Amount: You must be insured for at least $25,000 to use the Notarize with Proof platform
- Policy Expiration Date
- Upload a copy of your E&O Policy
- You are entering the name of the insurance producer rather than the insurance provider or insurer on the notary profile.
- Uploading an insurance policy with less than the $25,000 minimum coverage amount.
- Failing to upload a copy of the insurance policy.
Your digital certificate is applied to every notarization you complete on the Notarize with Proof platform.
- Upload your digital certificate.
- Click Next in the lower right corner.
Learn how to obtain your digital certificate.
- Obtaining a digital certificate with an incorrect name. The notary’s first and last name on the digital certificate must match what is listed on their commission.
- In states where a notary may use an initial on their commission, if the initial of the first name on the digital certificate and the last name on the digital certificate both match the first name initial and full last name on the commission, that is also acceptable.
Signature & Seal
The final step is to create your signature, initials, and seal:
- Create your signature per your state laws and guidelines:
- Your signature will be applied to documents when you use your signature on the Notarize with Proof platform
- Your initials should match your commission
- Your seal will be generated by the information you entered into your profile
A) Click Create Signature:
- Upload image
- Select file
- Select the PNG file for your account
- Crop and rotate to isolate your signature only
- Click Apply and Continue
- Move the slider to the left to remove the blue cloud
- Click I agree and Confirm and Apply
B) Click Create Initials:
- Upload image.
- Select file.
- Select the PNG file for your account.
- Crop and rotate to isolate your signature only.
- Click Apply and Continue.
- Move the slider to the left to remove the blue cloud.
- Click I agree and Confirm and Apply.
C) Click Create Seal> Click Confirm and Apply.
D) Click Next.
- You create a signature that does not comply with specific state laws or guidelines.
- You created a text-based signature. All signatures are required to be handwritten.
- Failing to remove all of the blue background from signatures & initials.
- Uploading a personal seal rather than creating the required, Notarize with Proof-generated notary seal.
After uploading your documents, your profile is automatically submitted to the Notary Onboarding Team for review. The current turnaround time for review is 1-2 business days. During this time, you will not be able to access the platform.
Once approved, you will receive an email notification from the Notary Onboarding Team informing you that you have successfully completed your notary profile and are ready to RON!
Feel free to reach out to our Support team if you need help!
Chat: Click the icon in the corner of your screen:
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 10 pm ET
- Saturday – Sunday: 8 am – 7 pm ET
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: Available depending on your subscription
Notaries are available 24/7/365!
For help with the onboarding process or questions, email email@example.com
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
© 2023-2024 Notarize, Inc. (dba Proof.com) All Rights Reserved.